USAGE OF FPGA SOFTWARE

FPGA projects on this site, or abroad

USAGE OF FPGA SOFTWARE

Postby transistortoaster » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:36 pm

Hello,
I was just wondering what long term software do you use for FPGA development? The Altera Quartus free web edition is time limited with harrd disk serial number checking. What is the cheapest software I can use when the time is up?
Frank
transistortoaster

Postby dima2882 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:36 pm

The Xilinx Webpack free software, along with the free version of Mentor's ModelSim do not have any time restrictions. Of course, you will then be restricted to use Xilinx parts.
dima2882

Postby transistortoaster » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:51 pm

Hi jarppa79,
Thanks for your post. I've been using the Xilinx webpack free software for the past 2 months. The hardware I chose is the Xilinx Spartan 2E FPGA with internal memory and an external flash module. Unfortunately, even with the extra RAM I purchased for my PC, the Altera software compiled faster :(.

Would you be able to recommend a low cost Lattice FPGA with RAM (I'm using in the order of 32kbits), flash, supporting three clocks, with the fastest at more than 64MHz?
Frank
transistortoaster

Postby alxx » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:49 am

Huh , whats your problem ?

Altera just give you another free license when the previous one expires.
You just fill out the web form and you get another license within a few minutes to next day or two.

At least Altera don't have as many services packs as xilinx.

I'm using xilinx ise + edk and the full install takes 5GB.
So by the time you have xilinx , Altera, TI code composer studio , Analog Visual dsp, MS visual studio ,mplab, avr studio, a few different versions of gcc( avr , arm etc) thats around 25GB gone
alxx

Postby transistortoaster » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:13 pm

alxx,
I thought that since the Altera software checks for the serial number of the hard disk and counts the time from first installation, there is a mechanism to prevent extending the software. So now I see that it is not the case, thanks for telling me that.

BTW, I found the Altera compiler to work faster then the Xilinx counterpart for my particular application.

Frank

>Huh , whats your problem ?
>Altera just give you another free license when the previous one expires.
>You just fill out the web form and you get another license within a few >minutes to next day or two.
transistortoaster

Postby alxx » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:59 am

I've found both xilinx and altera to be about the same depending on the project and type of design.

Just wish both companies could make their software a lot smaller and work more reliably.
alxx

Return to General projects