Important question

FPGA projects on this site, or abroad

Important question

Postby Doesn't Matter » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi people...
I have a question, can any one answer me please....
as long as FPGA is the best...why microprocessor chip which in P4 computer is not from FPGA ???
Doesn't Matter

Postby Kristallo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:52 pm

A special purpose chip will always be cheaper, faster and more efficient when you produce millions of them. A FPGA is cheaper and simpler for prototyping and small to medium volume production.

I may add that a large FPGA that morph to fit the requirements of the program(s) running at a certain moment is going to be more efficeint. Looking at the quality of coding made today I am sure any such attempts would end up in tears.
Kristallo

Postby Doesn't Matter » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:21 pm

sorry for my english is not good....do you mean if we make a CPU from FPGA..that cost too much?
another question....as long as VHDL is the best that it doesn't run sequentially...like a c language or pascal....SO, is visual c++ running as sequential instruction?if it is not...what is the diffrent between VHDL and visual c++?
Doesn't Matter

Postby Kristallo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:48 am

do you mean if we make a CPU from FPGA..that cost too much?
Yes, a FPGA has an array of general purpose circuits that do the logic operations. They are not as efficient as curcuits that are specially made to do a certain job. So a normal CPU will have a smaller die that is cheaper to produce and will run at higher clock speed.

what is the diffrent between VHDL and visual c++?
You have the right idea. VHDL describes things that happens at the same time at different parts of the chip. C++ describes what happens in the ALU of the chip at different times.

C++ is simpler for most problems since it follows the mind of most people. For problems where many things happen at the same time or very close in time, VHDL and a FPGA might be much simpler and some times the only solution.
Kristallo

Re: Important question

Postby MicroGuy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:30 pm

Doesn't Matter wrote:Hi people...
I have a question, can any one answer me please....
as long as FPGA is the best...why microprocessor chip which in P4 computer is not from FPGA ???

I think one way to look at it, and many things like this, is that a CPU is designed to many things well, where a FPGA is designed to do ONE thing VERY well.

If you could program the CPU to do fewer "special" things, it would be a better choice than a CPU that does MANY things.

Does that make sense?

It's sort of like an assembly line.

You can have an assebly line that has to asseble many different types of things, cars, boats, motorcycles and go-carts. Now they have to switch between those differnt things all the time, back and fourth.

And you have an assembly line that makes ONLY cars. It never has to switch, it only does cars.

Which one do you think would be more effiecent?

I don't know much about FPGA's, but that type of thing applies to many different areas.
MicroGuy

Return to General projects