Looking for a good book or two

FPGA projects on this site, or abroad

Looking for a good book or two

Postby BroadcastGuy » Tue May 17, 2011 11:44 am

I have read almost all of the information at the FPGA4Fun.com website (excellent, by the way) and was wondering if anyone has any good book recommendations? Something that starts where the website leaves off and offers simple examples of schematics for LE's and their corresponding Verilog code and works up to IP and using higher end modules. I have a Cyclone II dev kit. The Altera website has good information on using Quartus but I suffering from the "OK... but what do I do now?" syndrome. Looking for something that starts with the "Hello World" examples and descriptions. Thanks.

Dick Perin
BroadcastGuy

Re: Looking for a good book or two

Postby hamster » Sun May 29, 2011 11:50 pm

For me "Fundamentals of Digital Logic with VHDL Design" was a good starting point for understanding the underlying technology and how that maps into the HDL, but does not deal with higher level systems or using IP cores. It has a Verilog cousin (ISBN 9780077211646). The 2nd Edition is little old (2007), but largely applicable to current devices.

But if you do find a good book, please let us all know!
hamster

Re: Looking for a good book or two

Postby BroadcastGuy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 am

I will get a copy of one or both. Thank you for the tip! I have found two books that I am reading currently... "FPGAs 101" by Gina R. Smith put out by Newnes and "FPGA World Class Designs" by Clive "Max" Maxfield (also by Newnes). And they do start pretty much at ground zero and work their way up. Particularly, FPGAs 101 has some good explanations and examples of VHDL code.
BroadcastGuy

Return to General projects