FPGA project: Portable video recorder?

FPGA projects on this site, or abroad

FPGA project: Portable video recorder?

Postby LD_Out » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:10 am

Hi everyone, I am new here and I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but I was suggested by Jean Nicolle to come here for assistance and hoping that you lot can help me on something that I have originally ask Jean Nicolle themselve. Also I would like to apologize in advance for my ambitious target and lack of knowlege in this area, but as what fpga4fun.com has described I believe an FPGA could be the solution, thus please forgive on this :D Just want to be honest.

Now, from what I've gathered and if i am correct, FPGAs are used in almost every electrical equipment that has logic behind it. I am emailing you because I (and possbly a few others) was wondering if you can help me out with something relating to FPGAs as there is something I would indeed very much like to create BUT I believe its more complex or complicated to do and was wondering if you can help me on this.

What I am aiming to create is a portable recorder, meaning a portable device that receives digital video data for it to be coverted (via internal encoder) by the device to a specific fileformat outputted onto a hard drive. The device is to be designed to handle large data input and to convert this video in realtime.

That is more or less the basic function I am aiming for speaking in simple terms (just worried some of you might not understand video technology, but please let me know of your knowlege on this :D ), I hope you can understand what I am talking about, I wont say much for now but the reason why I was lead here was because after discussions on creating such device as mentioned the one thing that was brought up was a 'Field-programmable gate array', this has lead me into doing small research and thus it lead me to fpga4fun.com (that also says that FPGAs was expensive and not an easy thing, but your claim states otherwise because of the era we are in now) and eventually here to this forums :D

Sorry for this being slightly lengthy (i like going into detail :D), I hope you are not put off by it, hahaha, but I would really really appreciate it if you can help me on this, I know it sounds very ambitious (especially for me as I do not know very much of programming) but it would actually be of great help not only to me but for others and I am trying to see if this is possible.

Thanks for your time, I look forward hearing back :)
LD_Out

Return to General projects