Guitar Effects - Delay & Distortion using Altera Quatus

FPGA projects on this site, or abroad

Guitar Effects - Delay & Distortion using Altera Quatus

Postby Gerry__MAN » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi Folks,

I am curious to know if it's at all possible to create a Quartus II Block diagram circuit, that would emulate a Sonic Distortion effect?

I'm hoping to create something similar to a Guitar Effects pedal circuit.

Audio Distortion, Delay and Reverb also.

Does anyone know how I could do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Gerry :mrgreen:
"To Speak of consciousness other than as a pattern of neural firings is to wander off into a mystical realm beyond any hope of verification." -Ray Kurzweil
Gerry__MAN

Im a bit creative myself

Postby eviltwin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:46 am

I hope you succeed in creating something that hasn't been done before, embrace the idea fpgas are like LEGO for grown ups.
It's good to be evil
eviltwin

Postby hamster » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:45 am

I've played around with flanging and phasing when playing back audio from flash.

If your development board has flash on it then it would most probably be easiest to sample your instrument, download the sample it into flash, make a 1-bit DAC to act as output (see the FPGA4FUN project).

You will most probably need to convert the signed 16 bit values (that start at byte 44 of a .wav file) into unsigned values with 0 as 8000h (e.g just add 8000h to them).

Connect a counter to the address on the flash and increment it every 1/44200th of a second.

You will then have enough infrastructure to play the sample back and hear it in headphones.

Once you get that far it a simple distortion would be to clip the limits...

Mike
hamster

Return to General projects