Soldermask

FPGA projects on this site, or abroad

Soldermask

Postby eviltwin » Tue May 27, 2008 11:48 pm

I am almost done with my pcb design, It seems the soldermask adds a lot to the cost of the board, do you beleive I can solder the cyclone II, caps, regulators, etc on the board without the soldermask?? Or will it be a disaster?
It's good to be evil
eviltwin

Re: Soldermask

Postby mrand » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:02 pm

eviltwin wrote:I am almost done with my pcb design, It seems the soldermask adds a lot to the cost of the board, do you beleive I can solder the cyclone II, caps, regulators, etc on the board without the soldermask?? Or will it be a disaster?
Howdy,

You didn't mention what package you are using, but it almost doesn't matter. It isn't possible for BGA's, and for the QFP's, I suspect it would be a huge exercise in frustration trying to prevent solder bridges. It is worth the money.

Marc
mrand

Postby WadeH » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:46 pm

BTXSistemas wrote:Sorry mrand. I usually solder QFP's TSSOP packages using a single iron solder (cheap, made in China) in a PCB without soldermask, the "trick" is using in example a "flux gel", you dont need to solder each pin at time, you apply the gel, and then pass the iron solder over all pins together, no short circuits at all. although the "view" of the PCB finished is not the better.
It's not bad, for a beginner.
Also, you can try with a piece of "paper tape" near the pins line, to simulate the solder mask, solder all pins in that side, and then take the tape out, and voila !! a better "view" of the board. Repeat for the four sides of the IC.

PS: Hope you understand my mean....my natural language is not English.

I'd like to second 'BTXSistemas's reply with the caveat that a microscope will make it _much_ easier. It should also be noted that, at least for the case of the Cyclone II in the PG240 package, soldermask is not an issue: the pins are so close together that there isn't any mask between pins.
Wade Hassler
WadeH

Postby mrand » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:15 pm

WadeH wrote:
BTXSistemas wrote:Sorry mrand. I usually solder QFP's TSSOP packages using a single iron solder (cheap, made in China) in a PCB without soldermask, the "trick" is using in example a "flux gel", you dont need to solder each pin at time, you apply the gel, and then pass the iron solder over all pins together, no short circuits at all. although the "view" of the PCB finished is not the better.
It's not bad, for a beginner.
Also, you can try with a piece of "paper tape" near the pins line, to simulate the solder mask, solder all pins in that side, and then take the tape out, and voila !! a better "view" of the board. Repeat for the four sides of the IC.

PS: Hope you understand my mean....my natural language is not English.

I'd like to second 'BTXSistemas's reply with the caveat that a microscope will make it _much_ easier. It should also be noted that, at least for the case of the Cyclone II in the PG240 package, soldermask is not an issue: the pins are so close together that there isn't any mask between pins.
Wade Hassler
Howdy guys,

I typed my original answer in haste - both the above responses are obviously correct. Flux would be the key, as is a fine tip soldering iron, a steady hand, and if at all possible, microscope.

Marc
mrand

Return to General projects