HDTV Pattern Generator

FPGA projects on this site, or abroad

HDTV Pattern Generator

Postby asm_2750 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:16 am

Hello, I made a HDTV patteren generator late last year for a college design project. Originally it was supposed to have a microcontroller board that would pull bitmaps from a SD card, have a CPLD or FPGA put raw color data into a bunch of SRAM then display it. However, since my partner wasn't able to do the microcontroller portion so my board had to run standalone and display patterns generated from the CPLD.

The cut down system displays on a HDTV or DVI monitor with the use of Analog Devices 9889B transmitter. In order to display correctly, the CPLD just needs to generate the correct H and V sync signals from the CEA-861 spec and provide the correct pixel clock and data enable signal.

Also the 9889B needs to be configured through I2C, once the device is configured if the CPLD switches resolutions while running the 9889B should detect this and reconfigure on its own.

Here is the 9889 data sheet its an older version but its the only one with the I2C config data.
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Dat ... AD9889.pdf

Here is an image of the board I made for the project. I didn't solder memory on to this one because of how expensive it is, and the board is 6 layers so I had very little money after getting them made:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ ... 0188-1.jpg

I also attached my VHDL sources at the bottom. Looking back I think I could have improved on it, and I'm sure some people will cry foul and call me a heathen for using std_logic_unsigned and not numeric_std or that my code is inefficient. Granted I was trying for a simple system that I knew would work. I also included the schematics for my board, and I included the basic code I used on a atmega128 to generate the I2C signals it should be straight forward.
http://asm2750.googlepages.com/PatternGen.zip

Let me know what you all think, I really want to continue on with this project but, right now I'm busy finding a career with the degree I earned back in December.

The code might be confusing since I didn't make a block diagram of it. I kinda memorized it.
asm_2750

Postby force » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:22 pm

hi,

This project sounds interesting, to do have additional information for programming the AD9889 over I2C.

Regards.
force
force

Postby asm_2750 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:50 pm

The AD9889.pdf has a section on how you program the device with I2C. I used a ATMEGA128 to do the I2C programming, since I didnt know how to do I2C in VHDL at the time. I have a .bas file in the .zip file that has all the microcontroller code, if you follow the code you'll see how I programmed the device, its pretty easy when you understand the steps you have to take to program registers for the transmitter chip, just be aware you have the program the chip every time you power it on since the registers lose their infomation when power is lost.

Let me know if that answers your question.
asm_2750

some issues with AD9889

Postby shay » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 pm

hey .

i"m trying to config AD9889 using xilinx microblaze iic core .

the iic seem to work fine , i can write and read registers but i cant initialize the AD9889 , the datasheet is very confusing .

how did you know how to config the AD9889 properly ? can you tell me how ?

thank you very much.

shay
shay

Return to General projects