Problem with EZ-USB when using USB Blaster on Saxo-L board

Saxo/-L & Xylo/-EM/-L/-LM boards

Problem with EZ-USB when using USB Blaster on Saxo-L board

Postby sugo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:47 am

Hi,
I have a Saxo-L board which I have modified so that I can use the JTAG interfce from USB blaster. I have basically disconnected the JTAG lines between FX2 and the FPGA and through jumpers, I can either select JTAG-over-USB via FX2 or directly the USB-blaster.

I am using EZ-USB to send/receive data. My test program writes few bytes to FX2 FIFO2 and the FPGA writes few bytes back to FIFO4. Everything works fine when I configure the FPGA using FPGAconf.exe (via FX2 JTAG interface).

When I configure the FPGA directly using USB blaster, the USB_BulkWrite function fails (program terminates at assert(nBytes==buffersize) ). If the FPGA is not configured properly, I would expect the reading part to fail.

The same problem happens if I try to write to FX2 FIFO2 without configuring the FPGA (just after power-up).

My question is: How is writing to FX2 FIFO2 affected by whether FPGA is configured or not ? I expected FIFO2 writes to always work (as long as there is space in FIFO) irrespective of whether FPGA is configured or not.

Thanks.
sugo

Postby fpga4fun » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 pm

That's because when you use the USB blaster, you configure the FPGA but not the FX2, so the FX2 FIFOs won't work.
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Postby sugo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks for the reply.

So how do I configure FX2 so that I can send/receive data to the FIFOs? Is there any sample C/C++ program or tool that can do this? I did not find any option in FPGAconf.exe to configure FX2 alone.

Thanks.
sugo

Postby fpga4fun » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:01 pm

FPGAconf_console should do that - simply use the "board" parameter to specify your board and that should initialize the FX2 alone. Make sure you are using the latest version of FPGAconf_console.
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Postby sugo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:43 pm

I am not sure if I have the latest version of FPGAconf_console. The version I am seeing is 2.07.10. I got the board couple of years back. Can you please send me the link to download the latest version?

I tried the FPGAconf_console that I have but was not fully successful...only sometimes I am able to connect and when I do connect, I get a different a result compared to using JTAG with FX2. May be there are other issues but first would like to get the latest version of FPGAconf_console.

Thanks,
sugo

Postby fpga4fun » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Latest version is 2.12.04 - send an email to KNJN to get it.
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Postby sugo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:01 am

The latest version of FPGAconf_console.exe has solved all problems. I even got the CyUSB driver to work, which I was not able to use with version I had earlier.

One last question...I am currently using system() call to configure FX2 from my program. Is there any sample code that I can get to configure FX2 form within my program so that I can avoid the command window pop-up? Not ciritical, just asking.

Thanks for the help.
sugo

Return to FX2 FPGA boards