Problem with FX2 interface after saving design in boot-PROM

Saxo/-L & Xylo/-EM/-L/-LM boards

Problem with FX2 interface after saving design in boot-PROM

Postby reedb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:29 pm

The SDRAM example runs fine when "Configure FGPA" is used with in FPGAconf.exe. When "boot-PROM" is used, unplug Xylo-LM, plug-in Xylo-LM, bad data (0000000A 0000000B) is returned by FX2_SDRAM.EzUSB.exe.

I have the same problem with my block write version which is instrumented. I can see that after power up, the FX2 has FIFO2_DAV (FX2_FLAGS[0]) always high and it won't clear even though FX2_SLRD is low and the clock is running (FX2_state == 3b'001).

Anyone else seeing problems with stand alone boot-PROM operation?
reedb

Postby reedb » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Reply from Jean via e-mail:

"The FX2 {interface] code is actually in a RAM (loaded from the PC) so every time you power down, you loose it. We don't do anything to remove it."

This means you have to use FPGAconfig.exe to reload the FX2 to FPGA interface on every power down. I find this a bit unfortunate, since it's large, not open source and pulls in some questionable modules:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsock32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2HELP.dll
reedb

Postby tkbits » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:28 pm

I've acquired a Xylo board, and it didn't come with a boot ROM. There is a space for it, but you need to buy the EEPROM and solder it onto the board.

The EZUSB chips (including the FX2) that are found in many board designs need an external ROM to hold the boot firmware. On power up, the EZUSB checks for a boot ROM. If it doesn't detect one, it will be configured for downloading FW via USB, which is why you can create a working board without a boot ROM.
tkbits

Postby reedb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:43 pm

My board does contain a boot ROM. But that doesn't really make any difference for my application since I'm connected via the USB cable anyway

The issues is that there is no source for the 8051 firmware or FPGAconf.exe included in the Xylo start up kit. This means you have to come up with these pieces.

I'm working on this now. If you have any suggestions of open source tools/firmware which use the EZUSB driver and work on Xylo, I would like to hear of them.
reedb

Postby tkbits » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:58 am

Search the board for mentions of SDCC, a C compiler that comes in an 8051 version. It compiles from C to assembly language, so there is also an assembler that comes with it.
tkbits

Return to FX2 FPGA boards