FPGA reconfiguring on the fly

FPGA reconfiguring on the fly

Postby buechele » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi
Is it possible to reconfigure a fpga on the fly even if it is connected to the pci-bus? Do I need some circuit components between fpga and pci, I don't need level converters as my hardware wouldn't be plugable. Is it possible to configure a pci-fpga after booting of the cpu from cpu via jtag or any other connection? I don't want to use an separate boot flash for fpga, and additionally I want to reconfigure the fpga during run time. To get field upgrade posssibility. Has someone realized a thing like this?
what problems are resulting in software drivers?
Thanks for all answers.

Siegfried
buechele

Re: FPGA reconfiguring on the fly

Postby mrand » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:08 pm

buechele wrote:Hi
Is it possible to reconfigure a fpga on the fly even if it is connected to the pci-bus? Do I need some circuit components between fpga and pci, I don't need level converters as my hardware wouldn't be plugable. Is it possible to configure a pci-fpga after booting of the cpu from cpu via jtag or any other connection? I don't want to use an separate boot flash for fpga, and additionally I want to reconfigure the fpga during run time. To get field upgrade posssibility. Has someone realized a thing like this?
what problems are resulting in software drivers?
Thanks for all answers.

Siegfried

The vast majority of the time when posed with "is it possible" type questions, an engineer is going to answer, yes it is possible. The question is do you have the space, power, and cost available to the project to do it.

So yes, it is possible. And in this case, it shouldn't take up much space, power, or cost: I believe that all you'd need to accomplish this is a device (a microcontroller, or CPLD, or small FPGA, or maybe a bridge) that you can use to control the programming lines of the main FPGA.

Marc
mrand

Return to PCI