Pluto II and water pumping & filtering system

Pluto/-II/-3/-P boards

Pluto II and water pumping & filtering system

Postby serious » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:15 am

Hi Guys,

I would like to build a controller for a home made water pumping and filtering system. I looked around a bit and Pluto II seems to be an excellent choice, cheap and sufficiently powerful. I guess it would also allow me to add a small LCD display for reporting the current state of the system.

I just have a little problem. I don't know anything about electronics. I basically need to read the input of 4 digital sensors (basically they are switches triggered by the water level) and then turn on/off some 12V and 220V water pumps and filters. I believe that I need some kind of relay, but my knowledge stops here. Does someone know the solution?

And another question... two of the sensors will be located at 60-70 meters from the board.... do you believe that the resistance of the wire is too much for Pluto II to handle?

Thanks a lot!!

ps.: I really should have payd more attention during my electronics class!
serious

Postby vlado » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:46 am

Hi,

About your questions:

1. For outputs you will need driver and then relay. You must choose relays by maximum current you need for pumps and filters.
2. For input signals in "real world" usually are used 24V (because noise) .You must use current input (optocoupler), which will convert 24V signals to 3.3V.

If you are not scared, I can send you some schematics.

Best regards
vlado

Return to Pluto FPGA boards