Pluto II EPCS1 Programming via JTAG Indirect

Pluto/-II/-3/-P boards

Pluto II EPCS1 Programming via JTAG Indirect

Postby xtc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:01 am

Hello,

Has anyone been able to program their PlutoII's EPCS1 serial configuration device via the JTAG connections on the bottom of the board?

According to Chapters 10 and 13 of the Pluto manual, we can configure the EPCS1 serial configuration device via the JTAG connections using JTAG indirect configuration. However connecting these JTAG connections to my USB-Blaster only programmed the Cyclone FPGA but failed the EPCS1 device programming.

It seems to me that the EPCS1 was designed to be programmed only via Active Serial mode, two vital connections of which are nCS and nCE. These signals are not readily available via the JTAG connections on the bottom of the board.

If I locate these two signals, will I be able to program the EPCS1 with my USB-Blaster or is there something I'm missing?

Or does JTAG indirect configuration mean that the FPGA configures the remote device over the AS connection while the USB-Blaster is connected to the JTAG pins?
xtc

Postby xtc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:02 am

Ok I answered my own question a bit after reading AN370. The FPGA loads the EPCS1 over the AS interface after itself being loaded by the JTAG interface.

As part of this paper's instructions, it says to configure my board to AS mode. I assume it means in this case, the Pluto II. Does this involve the MSEL and nConfig test points?
xtc

Postby xtc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:06 am

Find below the programmer messages with the error. It looks like the SFL image is loading correctly however access to the EPCS1 clone is not granted. I even tried holding MS0 low to ensure AS mode but it was no help. I've been playing with the SOF file settings and no help.

Has anyone had success with JTAG indirect with this board? Is this an issue with the prom not being an EPCS1 but instead a clone?

----------------
Info: Started Programmer operation at Tue Jun 29 20:17:04 2010
Info: Configuring device index 1
Info: Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x020810DD
Info: Configuration succeeded -- 1 device(s) configured
Error: Serial Flash Loader Active Serial Memory Interface on device 1 is not granted .
Error: Operation failed
Info: Ended Programmer operation at Tue Jun 29 20:17:11 2010
xtc

Postby fpga4fun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:06 am

There is a jumper just above the PFGA, try to short it, that should grant access to the "Serial Flash Loader Active Serial Memory Interface".

The jumper is named MSEL0 (chapter 19.2 of the Pluto-II doc).
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Postby xtc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:30 am

While I tried that yesterday, I was using a different programmer. I just tried it again with another programmer and it worked. Thanks!
xtc

Return to Pluto FPGA boards