Pluto II and Quartus questions

Pluto/-II/-3/-P boards

Pluto II and Quartus questions

Postby drs2k » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:25 pm

Hi,

Just discovered the Pluto II board - looks to be just what I'm after! I have a couple of questions though:

It's not clear to me if Pluto II comes with an oscillator as standard (32MHz?) or whether I have to buy one as well?

Altera's Quartus II generates an .rbf file that I can use to program the fpga but can this file also include initialisation data for the RAMs in the fpga (for microcontroller instruction memory etc)? If not, how do I get this data into Boot PROM and fpga.

Finally, can anyone tell me if I can just apply for a new Quartus II Web Edition licence every time the 150 day licence expires?

Thanks!
drs2k.
drs2k

Postby fpga4fun » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:46 pm

1. Yes, Pluto-II comes with a standard oscillator (32MHz) soldered on the board and connected to pin 10 of the FPGA. No need to buy an oscillator.
2. Yes, the RBF also includes the data for the FPGA RAMs.
3. Yes, you can renew to get a new free license. I guess Altera wants to keep track periodically of who's using its software...
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Postby drs2k » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the swift response. All sounds good to me!

drs2k
drs2k

Re: Pluto II and Quartus questions

Postby hd » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:13 pm

drs2k wrote:Hi,

Just discovered the Pluto II board - looks to be just what I'm after! I have a couple of questions though:

It's not clear to me if Pluto II comes with an oscillator as standard (32MHz?) or whether I have to buy one as well?

Altera's Quartus II generates an .rbf file that I can use to program the fpga but can this file also include initialisation data for the RAMs in the fpga (for microcontroller instruction memory etc)? If not, how do I get this data into Boot PROM and fpga.

Finally, can anyone tell me if I can just apply for a new Quartus II Web Edition licence every time the 150 day licence expires?

Thanks!
drs2k.

I just buy the pluto-III board.

and i use also altera Quartus II
but for som reason i dont get any *.rbf file only an *.bak
dos somebody know how to generate an *.rbf file?

I think my settings in altera Quartus are correct to generate an *.rbf file.
do i have to look in an special directory?

Thanks for your help
hd

Postby fpga4fun » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:46 pm

You have to enable the rbf file setting in the programming options. Check the Pluto documentation, chapter "Generate your own FPGA design files" or "Create a Quartus-II project"
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Postby hd » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:37 pm

thanks for your quick replay

fpga4fun wrote:You have to enable the rbf file setting in the programming options. Check the Pluto documentation, chapter "Generate your own FPGA design files" or "Create a Quartus-II project"

Yes I did that. :S
I also select "as inputs, tri-stated"

I just go through the "check" list in chapter 11

what do i wrong :S

I'm so confused :D

yours sincerely
Daniel
The netherlands
hd

Postby fpga4fun » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:33 am

Did you figure out what was not working. Getting the rbf files should be straightforward.
fpga4fun
Site Admin

same problem where have my rbfs gone...

Postby freakTheMighty » Thu May 01, 2008 5:56 pm

I am having the same issue. I am attempting to compile the flashymini project. My settings look correct, but I don't know where the .rbf file has gone. It seems like I've got the same exact problem as person posting above.
freakTheMighty

evaluation mode

Postby freakTheMighty » Thu May 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Another thread seems to indicate that being in the "evaluation" mode will means it won't create .rbf , this makes sense in my case, I'll register the program.
freakTheMighty

Postby fpga4fun » Thu May 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Yes, you need to have a valid license (which is free to get from Altera). Otherwise you don't get the programming file (rbf here).
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Return to Pluto FPGA boards