Space left on the Pluto-P

Pluto/-II/-3/-P boards

Space left on the Pluto-P

Postby SpacedCowboy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:44 am

Hi there,

I'm considering purchasing the pluto-P, but I'll want to write my own (well, probably just add to your EPP) code and download it.

The application I have in mind doesn't need much space, but I wanted to get a feel for what's left available as resources after it's configured for the EPP ?

I actually want to snoop on a (fairly slow, 2MHz) bus looking for write operations, then buffer up the address & value inside the FPGA and report them back to the PC via the parallel port. A bit of bus-decoding, a 24-bit FIFO, and the EPP module is all I'm after...

So, can you say what's left over ? How much space do we tinkerers have to play with ? :)

Cheers,
Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby fpga4fun » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:55 am

Hard to say. Note that Pluto-P supports the FlashyDemo (8-bits oscilloscope), which is in effect a 8-bits recorder to the PC, while you need 24-bits. Pluto-P's FPGA has 3 blockrams, so you can build a 512 x 24 bits FIFO.
The answer also depends on your coding style, so to get a better idea, fire up Quartus, code a design targeting the EP1K10T100 FPGA, and see how much space you are using.
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Return to Pluto FPGA boards