VGA Card <> FPGA

Pluto/-II/-3/-P boards

VGA Card <> FPGA

Postby racerxdl » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:10 pm

I plan to make a FPGA Dev Interface, but for that I need a video controller. I can use FPGA for that, but it will consume some memory and pins, and I need more memory I can for dev interface. I was thinking if I can use a PCI VGA Card for that, but I doesnt found anything about how works the PCI VGA Card (In the hardware). Someone have a document of that, or something explaining how VGA Card its work?

Or someone have another sugestion?

I plan to use a Notebook LCD (TFT Ones, ones that have Digital RGB Signals, its easy to interface to FPGA, but it will get some memory in that).
racerxdl

Postby vlado » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:16 pm

This is a really bad idea.
VGA controllers needs CPU to load data in registers (about 100), to load text fonts, fill display memory, so on. A simple video BIOS takes about 32kB code and data. So to interface with VGA card you need appropriate CPU + Flash + RAM + Local Bus to PCI bidge.So you must build your own computer.
I don't know what kind of device you need, but for about 300$ you can buy single board computer with parallel or LVDS TFT interface.

It will be more easy to create a simple controller with external RAM for TFT displays.
You need 300KB RAM for 8bit 640x480 or 480KB for 800x600.
Pins used for TFT can be limited to 10 - 12 (don't use LSBits for colors), interface to SRAM will take about 30 pins. If you need fonts, you must add flash or prom, but this will take only 1-2 additional pins.

Best regards
vlado

Postby merchinax » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:04 am

How do you connect a vga port from a laptop to a tv? I have a laptop but it only has the VGA output port, it doesn't have an S-Video port. I want to be able to plug my laptop up to the tv. How do I go about doing that and what equipment do I need and where can I purchase it from?

Return to Pluto FPGA boards