Dragon USB LCD Text sample

Dragon

Dragon USB LCD Text sample

Postby Hank » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:49 pm

Hi,

I just received my new Dragon board with the optional LCD display and I am trying to test it using the USB LCD text sample that is provided with the board. I have been able to program the board to turn the LED’s on and off so I believe that the USB driver is installed correctly but when I try to communicate with the board using the LCD_text.c program it fails on the following line:

DragonDeviceHandle = CreateFile("\\\\.\\DRAGON_USB-0",
GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, 0, NULL);

The LCD_Text.c file had a compile error and I had to change the following line from

HANDLE* DragonDeviceHandle;

To

HANDLE DragonDeviceHandle;

So, I am not sure if the version of the LCD_Text file that I have has been tested and it may have more errors. Perhaps the "\\\\.\\DRAGON_USB-0" parameter in the CreateFile is wrong. Have any of you been able to get this sample to work?

Thank you very much for any help. If you have a fixed version of the LCD_Text file you can send it to me directly at hheidt @ cox . net
Hank

Postby fpga4fun » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:18 am

1. What version of MSVC are you using?
2. Can you give us more details by "the program fails"? Does the assert fails?
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Postby Hank » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:22 pm

The assert fails. The handle returned by the CreateFile() call is NULL. I am using Visual Studio .Net to build the program but I'll try building the application using Visual Studio 6.0 tonight and if it works I'll update this thread. I am running under Windows XP Professional.
Hank

Postby Hank » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:36 am

I have it working now. I tried everything on a different computer and the LCD_Text.c application now works when compiled with either VS .Net or VS 6.0.

Perhaps if I re-install the Dragon USB driver it will fix the problem on my previous computer.
Hank

Postby fpga4fun » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:07 am

Good. Still weird that it didn't work on one computer.
You could check the following:
1. Plug the Dragon board in USB, XP should "beep"
2. Check the Device Manager, the Dragon board should be listed (in the USB section)
fpga4fun
Site Admin

Unfamiliar with Visual Studio.NET 2003

Postby inan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi,

I would like to run LCD_Text.c code but I am not familiar with Visual Studio.NET, what kind of project should I create (MFC, win32, etc)? Is there any specific configuration that has to be done instead default? What am I supposed to see on the screen after application runs succesfully?

I got lost on running this code, thanks for any help. :roll:
inan

problems to

Postby tks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi All,

As a new owner of a Dragon PCI, i have got troubles to.

i compiled the v file into a bit file.
By adding it to a new project (with the correct cpu etc..) and then marking it as top module...

after uploading.. and running the C file in C++ delphi (didn't needed to change anything).. it doesn't show up letters....

did i do anything wrong?
tks

Return to PCI FPGA board