Simplest of VGA signal code.

Anything about FPGA boards, like how to assemble SMD components, find low-voltage regulators, FPGA configuration...

Simplest of VGA signal code.

Postby sccoupe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:16 pm

I am trying to hash out the pong game for the Pluto board. Currently using a basic Cyclone II board and the Quartus II web edition software. Being new to FPGA's and HDL some help is needed. I can get the pong game to compile, and load, but no signal when hooked up to a monitor. After much research, the problem may be that i'm using a 50mhz crystal but the code is written for a 25mhz Pluto based setup. Does anyone have a single file code that will show the absolute simplest VGA image on a 50mhz Cyclone II setup. I need something simple to build on and understand.

Thanks all.

Jason
sccoupe

Postby tks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm

HI Jason,

I'm new on here to so maybe we could hookup together and share our knowledges / sources.

I have read allot about VGA and you first need to build up a connector using the appropiate resistors and pins...

if you read: http://www.fpga4fun.com/PongGame.html
carefully you see that it says that the frequency isn't very important now a days because of the use (often) of a multisync screen) is yours that???

i also found this link for you:

http://www.fpga4fun.com/files/hvsync_generator.zip

shows up a basic border...

Hope the mods can showup and help us out...

please have a look at my threads...
tks

Postby sccoupe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks for the links. I am already using the info from those pages. The hardware part is complete with no issues. The frequency is important here because of the timing. The code is setup for a 640x480 resolution. Im not sure that running the code twice as fast yields a 1280x960 resolution even if the monitor could handle it. The data still has to be there to support it? The spikes in the code allow for a 12ns blip for the monitor to read. Mine is only 6ns which may not be long enough. Right now the research is going into how a simple for next loop works. This is way different than other languages that ive used so I have to go back to the basics i guess.
sccoupe

Re: Simplest of VGA signal code.

Postby quasimodo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:26 am

hi sccoupe, i think you made it work :D
can you show me how to compile pong game from fpga4fun.com with quartus II.
thanks and wait for your reply
quasimodo

Return to General boards